This program provides a two-year advanced study into the different aspects of bioinformatics and biological modeling. The program contains 120 credits, following the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS)
This program is open to students with a good academic background (bachelor degree) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Engineering.
The objectives are to provide a deeper understanding and knowledge into the different areas that define bioinformatics and biological modeling, on the one hand, and to prepare the students for an active role both in academic and industrial research and development.
The language used in the courses depends on the students attending it.
First year of MBMThe first year consists of two parts: 1) one or two courses to get up to speed and 2) a collection of courses that cover the three principal research areas : sequence, structure and function.
Preparatory courses (10 ECTS)For bachelors in Biology, Chemistry, Bio-engineering and related disciplines:
- INFO-F-101 Programmation by T. Massart, 10 ECTS (organized in first semester)
For bachelors in Computer Science, Mathematics and related disciplines:
- BIOL-F-102-B Biologie générale by C. De Canniere, 4 ECTS (organized in second semester)
- BIOL-F-208-A Biologie moléculaire et cellulaire by C. Gueydan, 3ECTS (organized in second semester)
- CHIM-F-202-B Biochimie métabolique et structurale by V. Kruys and M. Vandenbranden. 3 ECTS (organised first semester)
Other courses (50 ECTS total)Detailed information concerning the remaining courses can be found on the official ULB website : Program for the first year .
Second year of MBMThe second year is again divided into two parts:
- The internship and thesis. More information concerning the internship can be found on the following website. The information concerning the thesis can be found on this site.
- A collection of in depths courses that cover the same three research areas as before. Detailed information concerning the remaining courses can be found on the official ULB website : Program for the second year.